Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cafe en Costa Rica

Its raining again... and Im on another computer with weird punctuation.

Nontheless, tomorrow our adventures will take us to a smaller, family owned Costa Rican coffee plantation. Im not sure exactly what to expect based on its size, but I hope to take some home with me being that Costa Rican coffee is known for its great quality and high caffeine level. Not to mention apparently the government sets a lower controlled price on the stuff... and I like coffee in general. I want to see exactly how big this one is and how many workers they have for that size of a plantation. Apparently the average good worker will pull in about 12 cajuelas, or baskets of coffee beans, per day, each weighing in around 15 pounds. I would not be happy if I had to do this... on account of each coffee bean has to be hand picked. The wages are standard at these plantations... each worker gets between $.60 and $1.50 per cajuela. Apparently these are typical wages of most agricultural plantations here. The beans are then shipped off to a processing plant, which we wont see... oh well. I also kinda want to talk to someone whos been there a while... if the plantation itself has been there a while. By a while I mean since the early 80s when apparently coffee prices plummeted. This was probably when coffee became less of a major export here. Now its about the 5th most popular export from Costa Rica, down from number one or two. Anyway... this post was boring... but it gets me some puntos en mi clase. Ill probably post again later being that this is actually my new hobby since I dont have Guitar Hero.

Burf

No comments: